Thank you so much for volunteering at Cross of Christ! We could not be a successful, influential, loving congregation without your commitment and involvement.
As a Communion Assistant you are distributing the Eucharist to the congregation of Cross of Christ Lutheran Church. Please read through the following responsibilities:
- As the congregation sings the Lamb of God, or as the Praise Team goes up to receive the Eucharist,
- Come up behind the altar
- Receive Communion
- After receiving Communion
- The Pastor will hand you either a tray of wine/juice or the bread
- Please go to stand where the pastor(s) or others advise
- A side aisle or center aisle
- On the step of the platform or on the floor
- On either side of the Pastor or in the middle
- Tear off a small piece of bread and give it to each person
- Say “The Body of Christ, given for you”
- If the person request gluten free wafers, distribute same as above
- If a child comes forward who doesn’t commune, place your hand on their head and give a blessing like “Jesus loves you,” or “God bless you today.”
- Hold tray so each person can select their own wine/juice
- Say “The Blood of Christ, shed for you”
- Empty glasses should be placed in the baskets provided by each person
- An altar guild member will give you another full tray when/if yours is running low.
- After the congregation has communed
- The pastor may ask you to follow them in order to commune someone who can’t come forward to the altar
- Place the tray back on the altar or give it to an altar guild member
- Place bread back on the plate on the altar
- Then, return to your seat in the congregation.
Thanks for your ministry!